Below you’ll find an ever-growing list of recommended resources on a wide variety of topics. The categories are listed in A-Z order so work your way down, find something that catches your eye, and click on the link to learn more! Links are set to open in a new window.
I’ve included Amazon affiliate links for your convenience. This means if you end up clicking through and making a purchase, I may receive a small commission. Thanks for your support! See full disclosure here.
Activity Ideas for Babies, Toddlers, and Preschoolers
1. OT Mom Learning Activities. www.ot-mom-learning-activities.com
2. No Time for Flash Cards. www.notimeforflashcards.com
3. Baby Play: Developmental Fun from Birth to Beyond One, by Rachel Coley, MS, OT/L
4. The Toddler’s Busy Book: 365 Creative Games and Activities to Keep Your 1 1/2- to 3-Year-Old Busy, by Trish Kuffner
5. The Preschooler’s Busy Book: 365 Creative Games and Activities to Occupy 3-6 Year Olds, by Trish Kuffner
6. The Wiggle and Giggle Busy Book: 365 Fun, Physical Activities for Your Toddler and Preschooler, by Trish Kuffner & Megan McGinnis
7. Arts and Crafts Busy Book: 365 Activities, by Trish Kuffner & Bruce Lansky
1. Autism Speaks. www.autismspeaks.org
2. Autism Speaks Downloadable Tool Kits — first 100 days after diagnosis, Asperger’s/high functioning autism, preparing for blood draws, preparing for the dentist, oral care tool kit, family support tool kit, housing and residential supports, IEP guide and school resources, medication decision aid, school community tool kit, sleep tool kit, talking to parents about autism tool kit, tips for successful haircuts, transition tool kit, visual supports. www.autismspeaks.org/family-services/tool-kits
3. Autism Science Foundation. www.autismsciencefoundation.org
1. The Baby Book: Everything You Need to Know About Your Baby from Birth to Age Two, by William Sears, Martha Sears, Robert Sears, & James Sears
1. Medela. www.medela.com
Development of Fine Motor/Hand Skills
1. From Rattles to Writing: A Parent’s Guide to Hand Skills, by Barbara Smith, M.S., OTR/L
Development of Gross Motor Skills
1. Why Motor Skills Matter: Improve Your Child’s Physical Development to Enhance Learning and Self-Esteem, by Laura Losquadro Liddle, M.P.T. (with Laura Yorke)
Development of Language Skills
1. It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Language Delays. By Jan Pepper & Elaine Weitzman
2. Baby Babble. DVD made by speech therapists for kids 3-30 months. Parent tutorial, sign language tutorial, developmental charts.
Development of Mouth, Feeding, and Speech Skills
1. Nobody Ever Told Me (or my Mother) That!: Everything From Bottles and Breathing to Healthy Speech Development, by Diane Bahr, M.S., CCC-SLP
2. Talk Tools. www.talktools.com/parents
Pregnancy and Birth
1. Science of Mom: A Research-Based Guide to Baby’s First Year (includes pregnancy & birth), by Alice Callahan, Ph.D
2. Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth, by Ina May Gaskin
3. What to Expect When You’re Expecting, by Heidi Murkoff & Sharon Mazel
4. The Expectant Father: Facts, Tips, and Advice for Dads-to-be, by Armin A. Brott & Jennifer Ash
School-Based Occupational Therapy
1. The Occupational Therapist’s Handbook for Inclusive School Practices, by Julie Causton, Ph.D & Chelsea P. Tracy-Bronson, M.A.
Sensory Integration and Sensory Processing Disorder
1. Sensory Integration and the Child, by A. Jean Ayres, Ph.D.
2. The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder, by Carol Kranowitz, M.A. (preface by Lucy Jane Miller, Ph.D., OTR)
3. The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder, by Carol Kranowitz, M.A.
4. Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with Sensory Processing Issues, by Lindsey Biel, M.A., OTR/L, and Nancy Peske
5. Sensational Kids: Hope and Help for Children with Sensory Processing Disorder, by Lucy Jane Miller, Ph.D., OTR
6. The Sensory Processing Disorder Answer Book: Practical Answers to the Top 250 Questions Parents Ask, by Tara Delaney, M.S., OTR/L
1. The Baby Sleep Site: Helping You and Your Child Sleep. www.babysleepsite.com
2. The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night, by Elizabeth Pantley
3. Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child, by Marc Weissbluth, M.D.
4. The Happiest Baby on the Block, by Harvey Karp, M.D.
Join the newsletter!
Want more handy tips & tricks to help the kids in your life?
Subscribe to Mama OT so you can receive updates about new posts, helpful tidbits & a look at what's going on behind the scenes.